Designing Your Future Career – Grade 11
This course prepares students to make successful transitions to post-secondary destinations as they investigate specific post-secondary options based on their skills, interests, and personal characteristics. Students will explore the realities and opportunities of the workplace and examine factors that affect success, while refining their job-search and employability skills. Students will focus their portfolios on their targeted destination and develop an action plan for future success.
Overall Curriculum Expectations
Personal Knowledge and Management Skills
- Maintain a portfolio for use in career planning that provides up-to-date evidence of knowledge, skills, interests, and experience;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the personal-management skills, habits, and characteristics that could contribute to success in their selected postsecondary destinations and independent adult life.
Interpersonal Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate interpersonal and teamwork skills required for success in their school, work, and community activities;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of group dynamics in a variety of settings;
- Explain ways in which they can make a contribution to their communities and ways in which the community can assist them with career planning.
Exploration of Opportunities
- Use research skills and strategies to gather and interpret relevant information about work and learning opportunities;
- Describe, on the basis of research, opportunities in various occupational sectors and explain the requirements and challenges of selected occupations;
- Demonstrate an understanding of safe, ethical, and responsible personal and interpersonal practices in drama activities;
- Demonstrate an understanding of types of workplaces, their related workplace issues, and legislation governing the workplace.
Preparation for Transitions and Change
- Demonstrate an understanding of the transition process and the strategies used to facilitate change;
- Demonstrate effective use of a variety of strategies and resources for finding work and creating work;
- Apply goal-setting and action-planning processes to prepare for the transition from secondary school to their first postsecondary destination and for future transitions in their career.
|650 – 1300
Outline of Course Content
|What Affects Future Change?
|Opportunities: What’s Possible? What’s Right For Me?
|What’s the Plan?
|What’s Happening in the World of Work?
|Project: Personal Portfolio